Monday 11 June 2012

Compulsive non finishing!

G'day!

Seems like I have once again started something with all intentions of following through and not doing exactly that!  Oh well lets give this another crack!

I have been busy (ish) since my last post.  On the Marine front, I started painting some Crimson Fists, thanks to the anniversary model, and some Forge World goodness.



Pretty happy with the results and it is a nice easy paint job.  Start with Necron Abyss and then dry bush right up to ice blue.  Follow with a nice heavy wash of Asurmen blue.  I used this technic based on an article I read on Kantor Base.  Hugely helpful!
The bases are from Back 2 Base-ix as I was planning.  These are great quality resin bases made right here in Australia.  I also added some Swamp Tuft from Army Painter that I won in a local Blood Bowl tournament for my Lizardmen Stadium.

I have also added some paint to the man eaters that I showed last post.


The water turned out really well I think, it was simply some sausages of green stuff that I flattened down one edge in a rough uneven manner to try and create some ripple.

Below is a purchase that I would not have made if not for my 5 year old son and his love of skeletons!  Amongst everything else, he told me one day he wanted some "Space Skeletons" and he wanted me to paint them!  How can you argue with a kid who wants you to buy more miniatures??


Painting and theme wise I decided to do something quite different.  I had been watching an episode of Grand Designs Australia and one of the people on there wanted a Mondrian inspired interior.  I determined at that moment to tap into my dutch heritage and do something outside the box.

All bodies in the army will be a nice rich red, all vehicle blue, all weapons green.  Cloaks will be yellow and detail white or black.  I plan on placing them on some sort of tiled base and continue with the Mondrian look on those with nice big white flag stones, black lines between and primary colours on some of the smaller flagstones.

The barge has been painted using only the new citadel paints and they are a pleasure to use.  Each colour I started with Base paint and then built it up through layers, followed by a shade and then a glaze.  The white has gone straight over the top of these colours in practically one layer!

The other thing about the new paints is I have no found a way to the Executioners armour justice and in an easy enough method for my poor painting ability!  Again simply dry brushing starting with Leadbelcher Base and working right through to Runefang steel.  Wash with the new blue shade, and then two covers with the blue glaze and you end up with this:


Bad iPhone picture I know, but you get the idea.  A really nice blue steel look, now to just win the lottery and buy everything I need and I will be good!  I still want to wait for 6th to make any MAJOR purchases for these guys, but may well end up buying some more older mark armour from Forge World.  I figure there will always be Tac marines and a veteran squad of some sort should be fine!

Ok well I think that just about brings me up to date!  I will try and post more regularly from now on.  really I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment